Search This Blog

Hi! My name is Crystin. I am a "homemaker" in training I suppose. My resume is pretty extensive. I am currently an {okay} cook, a boo boo kisser, a playmate, a jungle gym, bug catcher, butt wiper... I think I'm missing butcher, {I'm not a} baker, and candle stick maker. We will put a pin in that. I am a stay at home mom to two boys and a wife to a pretty awesome husband who thinks I'm pretty awesome too. I love learning new things, tricks, tips, recipes, cleaning technique. I really love being a Home Maker and I am always still learning. I have a strange sense of humor sometimes but I always try to be honest. Motherhood is hard and I am doing the best I can with what I have. A mother's life is dirty, messy, fun, silly, pretty gross sometimes...it's exhausting, enjoyable and all in all, a darn good time.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A spoonful of outside cures cabin fever

It is amazing how a child in a bad mood turns completely around when they get outside. There is so much to do and explore. So many things to learn, so many lessons to teach. I love getting outside with my kiddos. We go everywhere. Just being outside makes us all in a better mood. It's been frigid out doors lately so I must admit, I think we all have a bit of cabin fever. Today, was such a gorgeous day. I packed us all up early and out we headed. I took the kids to the Leeds park today. If you have never been, you are missing out. The slides are taller than waterslides and it has a toddler park and a merry go round...a bridge over water to another older park and a walking trail through the trees. We spend a lot of time there when we go.

My boys aren't so much into the slides and such, but they love the swings and the merry go round. Their favorite thing by far is the water where in warmer weather I let them take their shoes off and walk around, but in cooler weather, they get sticks and play in the water from on top of large rocks.





There are snails all along the water's edge and the boys enjoy trying to get them. Lucas caught one. He was so proud...and then he tried to eat it soooo back it went!

We always bring bread or crackers when we head out and today we fed the fish cheese crackers, much to Lucas's dismay. He was trying to go in after the crackers. There are TONS of fish and the water is so clear you can see to the bottom and watch them all attack what you threw in. By the way, we are down one race car, Austin has no coordination :)

Here are just some other random pictures from the park. We spent a great deal of time filling up chipmunk holes, blowing dandelions, playing pine cone baseball, looking for bugs (and naming them), looking for leaves for my butterfly craft we are doing tomorrow and a bunch of other "nature" type things :)

There is a small gazebo on the side of the park that has the smaller park. We got there everytime and the boys love walking along the benches and looking for spider webs (ewww). Austin apparently took a "cat nap" and ended up playing race cars on the benches for a while.






The picture below is hilarious to me! It was a bit muddy out and Austin realized he had mud on his shoes so Austin told Lucas to "come over and get the mud off my shoes"...Lucas walked over and was trying to brush the mud off brother's shoes. Lucas seems to be Austin's little gopher. Bossy Little Austin.
We ended the day on the swings and the slide on the smaller park. The boys love doing the "superman" on the swings and were kicking their feet wildly to bonk eachother. They were full of giggles over that.  The big metal slide terrifies Lucas, but Austin LOVES it.


Austin was being so sweet and trying to tell Lucas he wasn't afraid and he was trying to show him how to do it. Austin climbed all the way to the top and said (and I quote) "It's easy Luke Duke! Just hug your knees and say WHEEE!" and he went down the slide. It was so cute. Lucas did end up riding the slide down and he enjoyed himself.
 All in all, the trip to the park today was rewarding and a great time to be together enjoying eachother and this gorgeous day. 

Get out of the house! Go explore and teach the kiddos that being outside is awesome. Not only do they get exercise...it's a great time to step back and watch their little faces light up when they find something new or take a huge jump off a rock and land it. What a great day.

No comments: