Search This Blog

Hi! My name is Crystin. I am a "homemaker" in training I suppose. My resume is pretty extensive. I am currently an {okay} cook, a boo boo kisser, a playmate, a jungle gym, bug catcher, butt wiper... I think I'm missing butcher, {I'm not a} baker, and candle stick maker. We will put a pin in that. I am a stay at home mom to two boys and a wife to a pretty awesome husband who thinks I'm pretty awesome too. I love learning new things, tricks, tips, recipes, cleaning technique. I really love being a Home Maker and I am always still learning. I have a strange sense of humor sometimes but I always try to be honest. Motherhood is hard and I am doing the best I can with what I have. A mother's life is dirty, messy, fun, silly, pretty gross sometimes...it's exhausting, enjoyable and all in all, a darn good time.

Monday, November 28, 2011

Teddy Bear Crayons!

Today it's rainy and nasty outside. I had to think of something we could do inside that would take more than 4 minutes to do. I decided that we would make Teddy Bear crayons. The only reason we made teddy bears was because that's the only mold I had. I wanted to use a muffin tin, but I didn't have one that I was willing to not use for food anymore. Next time I am at the thrift store, I will definitely look for one because these little crayons were so cute and fun to make!
First things first...selecting the crayons you want to melt. We used no rhyme or reason, I just let the boys pick some crayons. If you want it to be two toned, make it two toned...up to you. Oh and did I mention, they need to be Crayola crayons? Well, they do...they melt the best.

You then need to peel all the paper off. This is a great job for little fingers, unless you want your manicured nails multi-colored :)
You then have to break the crayons... Since Lucas is so good at breaking things (hee hee) I let him break them in little pieces. I don't know if you know this, but breaking crayons into little bits is hard (surprising..I know) so I took the larger pieces and cut them with a knife to make little bits.

We took the bits and added them in little piles to the mold and placed the mold on a cookie sheet so the overflow didn't get all over my oven.

I preheated the oven to 250 degrees and put them in. They took all of 15 minutes in my oven, but just watch them until they start to melt. Austin loved watching them and kept wanting to open the oven. I advise against this :)
Watching crayons melt gets boring, so in the meantime, all the crayons we didn't break and melt, we colored Spongebob with.
Once the crayons are melted to your satisfaction, take them out and LET THEM COOL!! This is ridiculously important. It's deceiving. They look dry on the top, but when you touch them, the wax is pooled underneath...it burns...FYI! Don't ask how I know this... I still have no feeling in my finger. They also need to cool because if you try to take them out before they are done, they break. We have no Teddies with heads because mommy got impatient.

So there is our finished product. The head is actually broken, but the nice thing about wax is you can shove it back together and no one knows :)  That's a teddy and a honey pot...super cute. The bottom picture is supposed to be my lack luster attempt at drawing a teddy...laughable. I hope you make these...this was a lot of fun and the boys thought it was cool.

2 comments:

Book Worm said...

How fun! These are super cute. I wonder if you can use the Wilton candy/soap molds to make these. I'm sure they would work. Hmmmm....

Crystin said...

I bet you could use whatever you wanted... as long as you are pretty much done with said mold... These stupid crayons completely stained my mold ;) They were so cute though. I really think I want to try the muffin tins next time. Big fat chunky crayons would be so good for chunky hands!