Search This Blog

Hi! My name is Crystin. I am a "homemaker" in training I suppose. My resume is pretty extensive. I am currently an {okay} cook, a boo boo kisser, a playmate, a jungle gym, bug catcher, butt wiper... I think I'm missing butcher, {I'm not a} baker, and candle stick maker. We will put a pin in that. I am a stay at home mom to two boys and a wife to a pretty awesome husband who thinks I'm pretty awesome too. I love learning new things, tricks, tips, recipes, cleaning technique. I really love being a Home Maker and I am always still learning. I have a strange sense of humor sometimes but I always try to be honest. Motherhood is hard and I am doing the best I can with what I have. A mother's life is dirty, messy, fun, silly, pretty gross sometimes...it's exhausting, enjoyable and all in all, a darn good time.

Monday, July 16, 2012

Tortellini and Sausage Medley

I get super excited when I think about this dish. I really do. It's such a fun dish to eat, it's pretty and it's healthy(ish)...did I mention it's easy and cheap? No? Well it is. I made it in about 20 minutes... I was actually watching the pot cook instead of frantically trying to pull dinner together at the last minute. What a way to be at 5:00! Woo-hoo.  I pulled this dinner together with a some garlic bread sticks out of the box.  It was filling, I didn't even finish my whole bowl.

Tortellini and Sausage Medley

1 lb ground sausage
9 ounce refrigerated or frozen cheese tortellini
28 ounce can Italian crushed tomatoes
2 T Italian Seasoning
14 ounce can diced Italian tomatoes (un-drained)
10 ounce frozen box of chopped spinach, thawed**
15 ounce can of broth

In a large soup pot, brown sausage and drain.  Add tortellini, crushed tomatoes, italian seasoning, diced tomatoes, chopped spinach and broth.  Heat to boiling; simmer 10 minutes or until tortellini is soft. Don't over cook or the tortellini will start falling apart on you.

**An easy way to get the boxed frozen spinach thawed and "drained" to put it in the microwave and defrost it like the instructions on the box say. When it's done... take a clean dish towel, put the spinach inside and wring it really tight over a bowl. Most of the water comes out. I can't take credit for that... I used to be addicted to cooking shows... Thank you Rachel Ray for this tip. I thought of you while I was making this recipe! LOL

Enjoy!

No comments: