Search This Blog

Hi! My name is Crystin. I am a "homemaker" in training I suppose. My resume is pretty extensive. I am currently an {okay} cook, a boo boo kisser, a playmate, a jungle gym, bug catcher, butt wiper... I think I'm missing butcher, {I'm not a} baker, and candle stick maker. We will put a pin in that. I am a stay at home mom to two boys and a wife to a pretty awesome husband who thinks I'm pretty awesome too. I love learning new things, tricks, tips, recipes, cleaning technique. I really love being a Home Maker and I am always still learning. I have a strange sense of humor sometimes but I always try to be honest. Motherhood is hard and I am doing the best I can with what I have. A mother's life is dirty, messy, fun, silly, pretty gross sometimes...it's exhausting, enjoyable and all in all, a darn good time.

Monday, November 28, 2011

Laundry Soap

Let's face it... Laundry soap is expensive! I spend a lot of money on laundry soap for my family... I have been searching for a cheap alternative for a while and I think I might have found it! I made my own laundry soap tonight with ingredients that are so stinking cheap, I was double checking my receipt. It would have been even cheaper, but I had to buy a 5 gallon bucket to store it all in ;) It was a total of $7.92(without the bucket)...BUT the best part about it is that I bought the bar of Fels Naptha soap (5oz) @ $.97 and I used the whole bar, so I will have to get a new bar each time... the Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda was a 3 lb box @$3.24 and the Borax was a 4 lb box @3.73.  I only need a small amount from each of those...so this is a DEFINITE money saver!! 

Laundry Soap

4 cups hot water
1 Fels Naptha Soap Bar
1 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
1/2 cup Borax
**note** all these items were available at Walmart..so it's not like you have to go to some specialty store either.



- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted. This took FOREVER!

-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)
-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.
-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.
-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)
-Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)

I can't wait to see what it looks like in the morning! Not to mention, I can't wait to actually use it. I love that you can potentially add your own smells too! Very fun.

I found this recipe AND one for some homemade fabric softener here. I want to try the fabric softener next, but I may try the recipe that you add vinegar to the rinse cycle first and see which I like better.


Hope you try this recipe soon! Let me know what you thought :)



5 comments:

Book Worm said...

Have you tried this yet? I want to know how it turned out.

Crystin said...

Yes! I LOVE it. It leaves no smell and the clothes look brighter to me. It's also cheap :) Try it yourself. I think you will like it.

Book Worm said...

Ok, I got all the stuff at the store today! I'm excited to make this. :) I'll let you know how it turns out.

Crystin said...

Awesome! I think you will like it. Let me know!

Crystin said...

So...how did it turn out for you? The melting was a process wasn't it?? LOL I love mine. Have you washed any clothes in it yet? No scent...I like that fact b/c I get itchy (from perfumes in soap).