Search This Blog

Hi! My name is Crystin. I am a "homemaker" in training I suppose. My resume is pretty extensive. I am currently an {okay} cook, a boo boo kisser, a playmate, a jungle gym, bug catcher, butt wiper... I think I'm missing butcher, {I'm not a} baker, and candle stick maker. We will put a pin in that. I am a stay at home mom to two boys and a wife to a pretty awesome husband who thinks I'm pretty awesome too. I love learning new things, tricks, tips, recipes, cleaning technique. I really love being a Home Maker and I am always still learning. I have a strange sense of humor sometimes but I always try to be honest. Motherhood is hard and I am doing the best I can with what I have. A mother's life is dirty, messy, fun, silly, pretty gross sometimes...it's exhausting, enjoyable and all in all, a darn good time.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Easy Peasy Fingerpaint

I'm cheap. I don't buy into the hype that you need expensive finger paints for a three year old and a two year old to use for 5 seconds. I make my own. I heard word that you can make fingerpaint with pudding...um, I would rather eat my pudding.. Since Austin was a year old or so, I have been making our fingerpaint with flour, water and food color. I had the most adorable helper making our paint.
In a bowl (size depends on how much you want to make, I use a medium bowl) put some flour and enough water to make a paste. You don't want it thick, you want it sort of runny, but not so runny it's all over the place. Use your judgment.  Austin loved to stir the paint and instead of freaking out and flinging it everywhere, he actually stirred it very gently.
I then took a emptied and washed egg carton and poured the paste into the egg places. I did this because I wanted to add different colored food coloring to each spot.
I put a few drops of food coloring in each little spot and let Austin use a kabob stick (lol) to stir it in.

Viola! Fingerpaint. It's literally as easy as that. The boys get covered most of the time and it sort of takes some scrubbing to get it off. It doesn't stain though. I normally just hose them off outside. Yes, I'm serious :)
I put an old cleaning shirt on Austin and tied the bottom with a hair tie. We laid out some wax paper on the driveway and I let him go to town. This day, however, he painted for about 5 seconds until he realized that his motorized bike was charged. Eh, the paint was free.

No comments: