Search This Blog

Hi! My name is Crystin. I am a "homemaker" in training I suppose. My resume is pretty extensive. I am currently an {okay} cook, a boo boo kisser, a playmate, a jungle gym, bug catcher, butt wiper... I think I'm missing butcher, {I'm not a} baker, and candle stick maker. We will put a pin in that. I am a stay at home mom to two boys and a wife to a pretty awesome husband who thinks I'm pretty awesome too. I love learning new things, tricks, tips, recipes, cleaning technique. I really love being a Home Maker and I am always still learning. I have a strange sense of humor sometimes but I always try to be honest. Motherhood is hard and I am doing the best I can with what I have. A mother's life is dirty, messy, fun, silly, pretty gross sometimes...it's exhausting, enjoyable and all in all, a darn good time.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Hamburger Steaks with Onion Gravy

This is one of Jerry's favorite recipes of mine. It's such an awesome comfort food to come home to from a long day at the office or in my case, a long day with the kids (and one that I know they will actually eat). See my note at the bottom about the gravy... Definitely consider it! I love to serve this over rice with a side of steamed veggies or with made from scratch mashed potatoes.

    1 pound ground beef
    1 egg
    1/4 cup bread crumbs
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 medium onion, thinly sliced
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 cup beef/chicken broth
    1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt

In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and Worcestershire sauce. Form into 8 balls, and flatten into patties.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry the patties and onion in the oil until patties are nicely browned, about 4 minutes per side. Remove the beef patties to a plate, and keep warm.

Sprinkle flour over the onions and drippings in the skillet. Stir in flour with a fork, scraping bits of beef off of the bottom as you stir. Gradually mix in the broth. Season with seasoned salt. Simmer and stir over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes, until the gravy thickens. Turn heat to low, return patties to the gravy, cover, and simmer for another 15 minutes.

**My suggestion is to make double gravy. You would take 1/4 cup all purpose flour, 1 tsp seasoned salt and 2 cups broth. You will thank me :)

No comments: