Search This Blog

Hi! My name is Crystin. I am a "homemaker" in training I suppose. My resume is pretty extensive. I am currently an {okay} cook, a boo boo kisser, a playmate, a jungle gym, bug catcher, butt wiper... I think I'm missing butcher, {I'm not a} baker, and candle stick maker. We will put a pin in that. I am a stay at home mom to two boys and a wife to a pretty awesome husband who thinks I'm pretty awesome too. I love learning new things, tricks, tips, recipes, cleaning technique. I really love being a Home Maker and I am always still learning. I have a strange sense of humor sometimes but I always try to be honest. Motherhood is hard and I am doing the best I can with what I have. A mother's life is dirty, messy, fun, silly, pretty gross sometimes...it's exhausting, enjoyable and all in all, a darn good time.

Monday, September 3, 2012

So....you don't use paper towels?

I was asked this question yesterday at work. My answer was no. This post is going to sound trivial to some, but I was so shocked that the people questioning me were shocked that I had said no.  When I was growing up, we didn't use paper towels... we used rags. We used old towels cut up or old t-shirts probably even underwear... anything that was old but still had some use...was turned to rags. I have actually have distinct memories of folding laundry with my mom and she got up and got her scissors and just started cutting away on some of the older towels.

I use rags for everything, even down to wiping my kids faces when they are done eating their meal so I can at least save a little money not using the baby wipes we have around.  I clean the counters, floors, doors, mirrors...everything in my house with rags. It's so easy to rinse them out in the sink, let them air dry (draped over your laundry basket) and wash with the towels on hot.

It's unimaginable to me to use paper towels and spend $5 a week on them. I can buy  2 pounds of ground beef, a gallon of milk, a pack of diapers (great value brand is $5.97) with that $5...stuff that I actually will use instead of just throwing away the paper towels.

I am not judging anyone that uses paper towels, that sounds ridiculous.So please don't get defensive and start sending hate mail to me! :)

So here's a great challenge.  Go around your house and find old towels, t-shirts that are on their last leg even underwear...don't forget about your old dish rags or your old wash rags. Grab your scissors...remove the waist band (if you are using men's underwear) and go to town cutting them up. You can make a small cut and then just riiiiiip. If you want to get fancy, trim off the uneven sides. I like squares...don't ask me why.  There you go. You just saved yourself some money, re-used something that was just going to be thrown away (unless you donate your old clothes) and have a nice supply of rags to use for cleaning or whatever your heart fancies.

I literally just spent 15 minutes cutting up a huge pile of Jerry's (too big) underwear. It's so easy is laughable.

Enjoy!
Crystin

No comments: