Search This Blog

Hi! My name is Crystin. I am a "homemaker" in training I suppose. My resume is pretty extensive. I am currently an {okay} cook, a boo boo kisser, a playmate, a jungle gym, bug catcher, butt wiper... I think I'm missing butcher, {I'm not a} baker, and candle stick maker. We will put a pin in that. I am a stay at home mom to two boys and a wife to a pretty awesome husband who thinks I'm pretty awesome too. I love learning new things, tricks, tips, recipes, cleaning technique. I really love being a Home Maker and I am always still learning. I have a strange sense of humor sometimes but I always try to be honest. Motherhood is hard and I am doing the best I can with what I have. A mother's life is dirty, messy, fun, silly, pretty gross sometimes...it's exhausting, enjoyable and all in all, a darn good time.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

DIY Dishwasher Detergent

Can it be? Another way to make my own stuff?? Too good to be true or just perfect? I am making a huge batch of this due to the absurd amount of borax I purchased last night for my laundry soap. If this stuff works, I might just throw a party. Dishwasher soap is expensive and I am so tired of buying it. I found the recipe here but it's below too. I am about to put a load of dishes in and I will update this post as soon as they are finished. This makes me incredibly excited.

1 tablespoon borax
1 tablespoon baking soda

*make a huge batch to save time and if you are already making the laundry soap, you should have borax on hand anyway.

Oh and did I mention...fill your "rinse aid" spot on your dishwasher with white vinegar.

Update! I put a load of dishes in last night with this stuff... it works =) I had no problems...in fact they came out a little shinier than what they used to look like. As long as they are clean, I don't necessarily care much about super shine. I think the Vinegar helped the shine too though.

4 comments:

Heather Gilmore said...

AWESOME!!! Can't wait to hear how it went!

Crystin said...

This is extremely exciting. If you already have all the borax on hand for the laundry soap... this should be EXTRA cheap :)

Book Worm said...

How cool! I'm going to see if I can find the stuff to make this. Dish washer detergent is ridiculous.

Crystin said...

Walmart...they had everything I needed. :) Not to mention, the total cost was like $5.00 for all the stuff... but you will get TONS more washes out of this stuff. Use white vinegar in your rinse aid cup as well.