Search This Blog

Hi! My name is Crystin. I am a "homemaker" in training I suppose. My resume is pretty extensive. I am currently an {okay} cook, a boo boo kisser, a playmate, a jungle gym, bug catcher, butt wiper... I think I'm missing butcher, {I'm not a} baker, and candle stick maker. We will put a pin in that. I am a stay at home mom to two boys and a wife to a pretty awesome husband who thinks I'm pretty awesome too. I love learning new things, tricks, tips, recipes, cleaning technique. I really love being a Home Maker and I am always still learning. I have a strange sense of humor sometimes but I always try to be honest. Motherhood is hard and I am doing the best I can with what I have. A mother's life is dirty, messy, fun, silly, pretty gross sometimes...it's exhausting, enjoyable and all in all, a darn good time.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Salt dough ornaments

The boys LOVED making these today, and I actually had everything we needed right in the pantry. I got the recipe here but I cut the recipe by half considering I didn't know how much it would make. I will definitely use the whole recipe next time. These are so fun! You can make them for any occasion. We are going to decorate and give them to our neighbors for Christmas!

Salt Dough Ornaments (this recipe is cut in half, for the full recipe, see above link)
2 cups flour
1/2 cup salt
3/4 cup hot water
large bowl, rolling pin
cookie cutters
decorating items (string or pipe cleaners, glitter, markers, crayons, glitter glue, Easy Peasy Fingerpaint , sprinkles, googly eyes etc)


Make a dough with the above ingredients and roll it out.



Cut it with whatever cookie cutters you want. We used Christmas cutters to make ornaments for our neighbor.
Place the ornaments on a microwave safe plate and microwave for about 2 minutes.


Once they were microwaved (and still a bit flexible) I stuck a pipe cleaner through the top to hang like ornaments. (note, I don't think I ended up microwaving them enough b/c they were still a bit "gooey" in the middle. I just hung them on the back of a chair though)
Wash your hands! The salt in the dough starts to really sting after a minute! LOL I used my  Coffee Hand Scrub which really made my hands feel awesome and smell good too!!

After they are cooled and hardened...comes the fun part :)
The DECORATING!!!

Markers definitely work on these too FYI. We used markers, googley eyes, glitter, sprinkles and my fingerpaint. They turned out so cute!







2 comments:

Heather Gilmore said...

B would love these! I see a project for Friday!!!

Crystin said...

Yes, he would. They were just so easy and inexpensive. I had every ingredient on hand and I have tons of cookie cutters so it was a no brainer. Tomorrow we are making handprint christmas trees! I think the boys would like those too :)
Note, Make sure you microwave longer than 2 minutes if they come out doughey. Mine still haven't dried.